Veteran Education Benefits Chapters

Please note: These benefits are provided outside the scope of FHE Student Services and resources. Please direct any inquiries relating to the benefits outlined below to the Department of Veteran Affairs.

What is the Montgomery GI Bill (also known as Chapter 30)?

The Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty, called "MGIB" for short, provides up to 36 months of education benefits to eligible veterans for:

  • College
  • Technical or Vocational Courses
  • Correspondence Courses
  • Apprenticeship/Job Training
  • Flight Training
  • High-tech Training
  • Licensing & Certification Tests
  • Entrepreneurship Training
  • Certain Entrance Examinations
To learn more call toll free 1-888-GI-BILL-1or online at: You can apply by filling out VA Form 22-1990, Application for Education Benefits.

Who is eligible for Chapter 30, MGIB benefits?

You may be an eligible veteran if you have an Honorable Discharge, AND you have a High School Diploma or GED or in some cases 12 hours of college credit, AND you meet the requirements of one of the categories below:


  • Entered Active Duty for the first time after June 30, 1985
  • Had military pay reduced by $100 a month for first 12 months
  • Continuously served for 3 years, OR 2 years if that is what you first enlisted for, OR 2 years if you entered the Selected Reserve within a year of leaving active duty and served 4 years ("2 by 4" Program)


  • Entered Active Duty before January 1, 1977
  • Served at least 1 day between 10/19/84 and 6/30/85, and stayed on active duty through 6/30/88, (or 6/30/87 if you entered the Selected Reserve within 1 year of leaving active duty and served 4 years)
  • On 12/31/89, you had entitlement left from Vietnam-Era GI Bill


  • Not eligible for MGIB under Category I or IIOn Active Duty on 9/30/90 AND separated involuntarily after 2/2/91, 
  • OR involuntarily separated on or after 11/30/93, OR voluntarily separated under either the Voluntary Separation Incentive (VSI) or Special Separation Benefit (SSB) program
  • Before separation, you had military pay reduced by $1200


  • On Active Duty on 10/9/96 AND you had money remaining in a VEAP account on that date AND you elected MGIB by 10/9/97 OR entered full-time National Guard duty under title 32, USC, between 7/1/85, and 11/28/89 AND you elected MGIB during the period 10/9/96, through 7/8/97
  • Had military pay reduced by $100 a month for 12 months or made a $1200 lump-sum contribution

What type of payment can I expect from Chapter 30, MGIB?

Click here to view the current rate tables. Benefits are reduced for less than full-time training. Payments for other types of training follow different rules. The Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) will pay an additional amount, called a “kicker” or “college fund,” if directed by the Department of Defense (DOD). The maximum number of months veterans can receive payments is 36 months at the full-time rate or the part-time equivalent. Visit for more information.

What is the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment VetSuccess Program (Chapter 31)?

The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) VetSuccess Program assists Veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs. For Veterans with service-connected disabilities so severe that they cannot immediately consider work, VetSuccess offers services to improve their ability to live as independently as possible. For more information and to apply visit the website at:

Who is eligible for the VetSuccess (Chapter 31) services?

Active Duty Service Members are eligible if they:

  • Expect to receive an honorable discharge upon separation from Active Duty
  • Obtain a memorandum rating of 20% or more from the VA
  • Apply for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E)

VetSuccess services Veterans are eligible if they:

  • Have received, or will receive, a discharge that is other than dishonorable
  • Have a service-connected disability rating of at least 10%, or a memorandum rating of 20% or more from the VA
  • Apply for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) VetSuccess services

For more information and to apply visit the website at:

What services are provided by the VR&E VetSuccess (Chapter 31) Program?

  • Comprehensive rehabilitation evaluation to determine abilities, skills, and interests for employment
  • Vocational counseling and rehabilitation planning for employment services
  • Employment services such as job-training, job-seeking skills, resume development, and other work readiness assistance
  • Assistance finding and keeping a job, including the use of special employer incentives and job accommodations
  • On the Job Training (OJT), apprenticeships, and non-paid work experiences
  • Post-secondary training at a college, vocational, technical or business school
  • Supportive rehabilitation services including case management, counseling, and medical referrals
  • Independent living services for Veterans unable to work due to the severity of their disabilities

For more information and to apply visit the website at:

What is the Survivors and Dependents Program (Chapter 35 program) and who qualifies for it?

Survivors and Dependents Benefits (Chapter 35) provide educational benefits to spouses and children of veterans who either died while in service, died as a result of a service-connected disability, or became totally and permanently disabled as a result of their military service.

The VA provides educational assistance to qualifying dependents as follows:

  1. The spouse or child of a service member or veteran who either died of a service-connected disability, or who has permanent and total service-connected disability, or who died while such a disability existed.
  2. The spouse or child of a service member listed for more than 90 days as currently Missing in Action (MIA), captured in the line of duty by a hostile force, or detained or interned by a foreign government or power.
  3. The spouse or child of a service member who is hospitalized or is receiving outpatient care or treatment for a disability that is determined to be totally and permanently disabling, incurred or aggravated due to active duty, and for which the service member is likely to be discharged from military service.

Surviving spouses lose eligibility if they remarry before age 57 or are living with another person who has been held out publicly as their spouse. They can regain eligibility if their remarriage ends by death or divorce or if they cease living with the person. Dependent children do not lose eligibility if the surviving spouse remarries. Additional information can be found at or by calling 1-888-GI-BILL-1(1-888-442-4551)

How do I apply for Chapter 35 benefits?

To apply online visit: If you don't have the capability to apply online, you can call 1-888-GI BILL-1 (1888-442-4551)

What is the Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve MGIB-SR Chapter 1606?

The Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (MGIB – SR, or chapter 1606 of title 10, U.S. Code) is an educational assistance program enacted by Congress to attract men and women into the reserve branch of the Armed Forces.

Who is eligible for benefits under the program?

This program is for members of the Selected Reserve of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard, and the Army and Air National Guard. You may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of full-time education benefits under the MGIB-SR program, and your eligibility for the program normally ends on the day you leave the Selected Reserve.

You may be eligible for MGIB-SR benefits, if you meet the following requirements:

Incur a six-year Selected Reserve Obligation. You must enter into a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve. If you’re an officer, you must agree to serve six years in addition to your current obligation.

Complete your Initial Active Duty for Training (IADT).

Maintain Selected Reserve Status. Serve in a drilling Selected Reserve unit and remain in good standing.Complete High School. You must obtain a high school diploma or equivalency certificate before you apply for benefits. To learn about what types of programs can be used with MGIB-SR or Chapter 1606 benefits, go online to, or call 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1888-442-4551)

What is the Montgomery GI Bill - Reserves Educational Assistance Program (REAP) Chapter 1607 program?

REAP is designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to Active Duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. To determine if you are eligible for REAP or any other Veterans Educational Benefit visit:

For more information go online to, or call 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1888-442-4551)

Who is eligible for REAP (Chapter 1607) benefits?

Eligibility will be determined by the Department of Defense (DoD) or Department of Homeland Security (DHS) as appropriate. Generally, a member of a reserve component who serves on Active Duty on or after September 11, 2001 under title 10, U.S.C., for at least 90 consecutive days under a contingency operation is eligible for REAP.

Note: "Contingency operation" means the current Iraq or Afghanistan operations and may include other operations.

National Guard members are eligible if their active service extends for 90 consecutive days or more and their service is:

  • authorized under section 502(f), title 32, U.S.C.,
  • authorized by the President or Secretary of Defense for a national emergency, and
  • supported by federal funds. For more information on what type of training qualifies for REAP Chapter 1607, go online to, or call 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551)

Do I need to certify my enrollment each month? If so, how and when?

Yes, almost everyone receiving MGIB-Active Duty (Chapter 30), REAP (Chapter 1607) or MGIB-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606), must verify their enrollment each month to receive payment for that month. You can do this online at by clicking on "Information for Benefit Recipients" on the left hand side of the page and then clicking on "Verify Your Attendance (WAVE)", or by calling the automated verification line at 877-823-2378If you attended classes for the full month you cannot verify your attendance before the last calendar day of the month. If you attended classes for a partial month you can verify your attendance anytime after your enrollment ends.