Spouses and Dependants

Applying for Benefits:*

There are two benefits options you can choose from. Choose which best fits your situation:

Using Transfer of Eligibility:

  1. Active Duty service members providing transfer of benefits must contact the Department of Defense to begin the process or visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website for additional instructions.
  2. Once the Active Duty service member transfers eligibility, submit a copy of the Transfer Entitlement Benefits (TEB) approval to your FHE Student Finance Planner. Complete the VONAPP (Form 22-1990 or form 22-1990E)


Use Chapter 35 (only use if you are receiving benefits from a Veteran who is deceased or has 100% service-related disability). Complete the VONAPP (form 22-5490)

  1. Submit a copy of your completed VONAPP application to your FHE Student Finance Planner
  2. Submit a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility ( received 4-6 weeks after VONAPP approval) to your FHE Student Finance Planner

Documents Needed:

  • Copy of Transfer Entitlement Benefits(TEB) approval letter (if doing TEB)
  • Copy of completed VONAPP application (form 22-1990E or 22-5490 or form 22-1990E if Active Duty)
  • Copy of Certificate of Eligibility/Services member’s DD214

Quick Access:

MyCAA - What Does MyCAA Provide?Training and Education Financial Assistance

Maximum education benefit of $4,000 

  1. Annual Fiscal year Cap of $2,000 to assist eligible military spouses
  2. Annual cap waivers are available if there is an upfront tuition cost that exceeds $2,000 (Up to the maximum benefit of $4,000)
  3. Will pay for tuition costs for education and training courses leading to an Associate’s Degree (Excluding General Studies), license, certificate or certification at accredited schools

Yellow Ribbon Program 

The Yellow Ribbon Program was established by the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008. This program allows institutions of higher learning (such as colleges, universities, and other degree-granting schools) in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition and fee expenses that exceed the tuition and fee amounts payable under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. 

The institution can contribute a specified dollar amount of those expenses, and VA will match the contribution, not to exceed 50% of the difference. To receive the Yellow Ribbon Program benefits you must be enrolled in an approved program offered by an institution of higher learning that participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Dependent & Survivors Assistance (DEA) 

Dependents' Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.

Service members Opportunity Colleges

SOC functions in cooperation with 15 higher education associations, the Department of Defense, and Active and Reserve Components of the Military Services to expand and improve voluntary postsecondary education opportunities for service members worldwide. SOC is funded by the Department of Defense (DOD) through a contract with the American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU). The contract is managed for DOD by the

Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES).

Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES)
Provides support programs, information, and resources that help your Education Service and Navy College offices help you research, select, and pursue educational goals.

American Council on Education (ACE)

Since 1945, ACE has provided a collaborative link between the U. S. Department of Defense and higher education through the review of military training and experiences for the award of equivalent college credits for members of the Armed Forces. Registrars, admissions officers, academic advisors, career counselors, and DoD Voluntary Education professionals have a basis for recognizing military educational experiences in terms of civilian academic credit through the Military Guide Online.

Have any inquiries regarding military student finance? Please email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..}